The Ketone Episode with Dominic D'Agostino and Dr. Mike T Nelson
Dominic D'Agostino is THE authority when it comes to ketone knowledge and research.
Metabolic Flexibility champion Dr. Mike T Nelson literally wrote the nutrition textbook.
Put them together on the Optimal Performance Podcast, and you're in for one of the best keto discussions you'll ever hear.
Meet The Experts: Dominic D'Agostino & Dr. Mike T Nelson
For an introduction to ketones, check out this blog post.
Today, we're diving deep in to the world of ketosis, optimal fuel utilization, applications for ketosis, and new research frontiers with two nutrition and performance leaders.
Dominic D'Agostino Ph. D, is an associate professor in the department of molecular pharmacology and physiology at the University of South Florida. He is also a senior research scientist at the Center for Human and Machine Cognition where he studies nutrition interventions for a wide range of pathology and performance applications - including Department of Defense and US Navy funded ketosis research.
Dr. Mike T. Nelson has spent 18 years of his life learning how the human body works, specifically focusing on how to properly condition it to burn fat and become stronger, more flexible, and healthier.
He has a PhD in Exercise Physiology, a BA in Natural Science, and an MS in Biomechanics and he's an adjunct professor and a member of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Like D'Agostino, Mike also been called in to share his techniques with top government agencies and his clients have been featured in international magazines, in scientific publications, and on websites across the globe.
Listen to the Optimal Performance Podcast on-the-go:
What you'll hear from Dominic D'Agostino & Dr. Mike T. Nelson on the OPP:
- Ketones improve brain energy metabolism, signaling and inflammation
- Ketones for cancer, Alzheimer's, and peak performance
- Who shouldn't use ketosis? (Speed and power athletes. People with extreme fatigue)
- Does ketosis affect high intensity output? (Not if we focus on adaptation)
- Why you need carbs to prevent down regulation of the PDH pathway and how to mix carbs and ketosis for optimal performance and health
- How fasting, ketosis, creatine and calorie restricted diets affect strength
- How well can you transition between fuel sources - why this is crucial for survival and optimal health
- Tricks or hacks to flip fuel sources faster and more efficiently
- How individual enzyme expression can impact your ketogenic experience
- How fasting improves fat oxidation efficiency (it's about reducing insulin)
- 20-93%...massive range of variability in individual fat use as fuel for BMR
- How much protein should you be eating
- How well can your body handle both ends of the spectrum - good indicator of overall resilience and ability to switch between fuel sources
- Are exogenous ketones safe? Salts or esters?
- How ketosis makes your CNS more efficient and can increase strength
- Ketones accelerate muscular regeneration - independent of M-Tor and Amp kinase
- Ketones completely abolish the insulin response from glucose bolus...Type 2 diabetes implications
- Behind the scenes of Dom's new research
- The future of exogenous ketone supplements
- The neuroprotective powers of beta-hydroxybutyrate and how it can help combat or prevent diseases of inflammation
- Where you can find more of Dominic D'Agostino and Dr. Mike T Nelson
- Mike and Dominic's Top 3 Tips To Live Optimal
Watch the Video Version:
Links & Resources
Dominic's site: ketonutrition.org
Papers, Studies and Journals mentioned on this show
Nutritional Ketosis for Performance Athletes Paper in CELL Journal
D'Agostino's Fueling Performance: Ketones Cell Metabolism (free download from Dominic)
Dominic's Paper on BHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate) published in Nature & Medicine (free download from Dominic)
Dr. Veech on Ketones & Insulin Response
Dominic D'Agostino: Starving Cancer at TEDx Tampa:
Natural Stacks Performance Optimizers
MagTech - Increases synapse density for enhanced mental performance and promotes relaxation for improved sleep
Prebiotic+ - Our resistant starch complex designed to help you optimize gut health and sleep
Smart Caffeine - 2:1 Ratio of L-Theanine: Caffeine, the exact ratio shown in studies to boost mental alertness and increase cognition
CILTEP - get "tunnel vision" focus so you can avoid distractions, focus on what matters most and increase your productivity
We want to hear your thoughts...keep the conversation going in the comments below.
World Memory Champion
"This is a very interesting area..."
"My wife set up a blind study for me because I got my hand on some CILTEP… We did a blind test… Out of these 20 trials that I did in these 10 days, my four fastest ones were all on CILTEP."
World Series of Poker 2014 Champion
"I've relied on CILTEP as my go-to product to optimize mental performance for the seven week long WSOP."
"It definitely helped me get through the long days and stay focused all the way through. I've noticed a remarkable difference in my ability to spend hours at a table without a break in concentration. This product really works."
The Bulletproof Executive
"I am seriously impressed with CILTEP"
"CILTEP has earned a place alongside world-class smart drugs. It works synergistically with them to help you do - and be - more."
@NATURALSTACKS ON INSTAGRAM