Why It's Impossible To Be A Vegetarian: Andrew Smith Interview
The wildfire-like way in which it spread through every corner of the internet is a testament to Andrew's articulation of a new viewpoint on a familiar argument.
Now, we interview Andrew - a vegetarian himself, and professor of Philosophy at Drexel University - on the Optimal Performance Podcast to explore his thoughts and the research on vegetarianism, food production, and our impact on the food cycle.
We discover that plants demonstrate intelligence, explore plant sentience and find out why Andrew has chosen to be a vegetarian despite all his arguments against the popular reasons for being vegetarian.
What you'll hear from Andrew Smith in this episode of the OPP:
- Why it's impossible to actually be a vegetarian
- The Food Web is cyclical, not linear (plants eats animals too)
- How plants perform arithmetic to ration starch consumption overnight until they can resume photosynthesis when the sun rises the next day
- Plants excrete their own pain-relievers...do they feel?
- Hormone systems within plants, and decentralized "brains" that are biochemically similar to ours
Are coffee, chocolate, and cashews ecological terrors when produced on a massive scale?
"Your grandparents didn't have to worry about their food being laced with chemicals"
- Learn how our food policies have changed in the last 40 years and what you can do about it
- Ecoside = Genocide of the ecosystem: the bigger argument for Vegetarians...
- With all this information, Why is Andrew Smith a vegetarian?
- How our dietary beliefs can be more personal and closely held than our religious beliefs - and why our reactions to dietary challenges are so strong (sometimes negative)
- Your overall health and wellbeing are far more important than your ties to certain beliefs or practices
- One tip for success: Seek experts opinions and advice for your given pursuit
- Andrew's tips for vegetarians: (Lift weights & eat plenty of fat!)
- Where you can find more of Andrew Smith
- Andrew's Top 3 Tips to #LiveOptimal
Links & Resources:
Stefano Mancuso TED Talk: Plant Intelligence
Natural Stacks Vegetarian Offerings:
Prebiotic+: optimize your gut biome and digestion with our Resistant Starch Complex
MagTech: increase synapse density and promote optimal sleep with the brain-boosting mineral magnesium
Natural Stacks Liquid Curcumin: support your body's natural healing processes
We want to hear your thoughts. Leave us a comment below.
World Memory Champion
"This is a very interesting area..."
"My wife set up a blind study for me because I got my hand on some CILTEP… We did a blind test… Out of these 20 trials that I did in these 10 days, my four fastest ones were all on CILTEP."
World Series of Poker 2014 Champion
"I've relied on CILTEP as my go-to product to optimize mental performance for the seven week long WSOP."
"It definitely helped me get through the long days and stay focused all the way through. I've noticed a remarkable difference in my ability to spend hours at a table without a break in concentration. This product really works."
The Bulletproof Executive
"I am seriously impressed with CILTEP"
"CILTEP has earned a place alongside world-class smart drugs. It works synergistically with them to help you do - and be - more."