Hi Snug as a Bug in a Rug Stackers,
Hibernation is a way for animals to survive cold, dark winters without having to search for food or migrate.
Us humans don’t depend on hibernation. We’ve discovered effective ways to survive the cold -- bring on those heated blankets and onesies.
But as the temperature drops and the days are darker, it’s normal to need more rest.
This week’s edition of The Stack harnesses hibernation in the form of sleep. New studies suggest a good night’s rest can help prevent Alzheimer’s, activate problem solving, and improve study skills.
How deep sleep may help the brain clear Alzheimer's toxins
NPR discussed the concept that brain waves generated during sleep appear to work as a “cleaning crew” in the brain, protecting against Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases. Study findings were published in Science journal.
- Researchers found that electrical signals, known as slow waves, appear before fluid washes through the brain, presumably removing toxins associated with Alzheimer’s.
- Slow waves in neural activity contribute to memory consolidation whereas cerebral fluid (CSF) clears metabolic waste products from the brain.
- They discovered a pattern that appears during non-rapid eye movement sleep, concluding that sleep is essential for both cognition and maintenance of healthy brain function.
- The findings also suggest that people may be able to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by ensuring that they get high-quality sleep.
Researchers activate problem-solving during sleep
- Researchers explored whether 57 participants could solve puzzles as they slept by presenting participants with a variety of brainteasers before bedtime.
- Each puzzle was accompanied, and associated with, a unique sound. Participants went to sleep with some puzzles remaining unsolved.
- As participants slept, researchers played the sounds (loud enough to be heard without waking them) for half of the person’s unsolved puzzles.
- In the morning, having “slept on” the remaining brainteasers, the participants were able to work through more of the problems.
- Participants were able to solve 31.7% of the puzzles invoked by sounds during sleep
- A 55% improvement, over the 20.5% of puzzles without sound cues.
Better sleep habits lead to better college grades
MIT News shared data, collected on MIT students, that emphasizes the importance of getting enough sleep and establishing a good bedtime. The study was conducted by two MIT professors and published in Science of Learning.
- In an engineering class, 100 MIT students were given Fitbits to track a semester’s worth of their activity.
- The original purpose of the study was to find a correlation between exercise classes and academic performance, but these results were not significant.
- Students who went to bed after a particular threshold time (2am for the purpose of this study) tended to perform less well on their tests no matter how much total sleep they ended up getting.
- The study also revealed no improvement in scores for those who made sure to get a good night’s sleep right before a big test.
- Basically meaning the sleep during the days before, when the learning was happening, mattered more than the sleep the night before.
- Quality of sleep also mattered.
- Students who got relatively consistent amounts of sleep per night did better than those who had greater variations from one night to the next, even if they ended up with the same average amount.
DREAM CBD™ is designed for night time use without disrupting the body’s natural circadian rhythm. Allowing you to fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer and wake up feeling refreshed.
DREAM CBD™ combines full-spectrum hemp extract blended with terpene-rich lavender olive oil and an optimal dose (0.5mg) of melatonin.
Most CBD products come in a tincture or dropper. This creates problems with getting the right dosage, making it really hard to measure the same amount each time!
That’s why DREAM CBD™ is suspended in a vegetarian capsule.
The end result is an accurate dose, rapid absorption and the perfect night’s sleep!
DREAM CBD™ is perfect for daily use for anyone looking for:
- Help falling asleep faster
- Deeper more restful sleep quality
- Recovery and relief
Natural Stacks habitué
TJ is an author, podcaster, and health hacking coach for high performing men. He started as a Natural Stacks ambassador a few years back. Him and his clients were having such a good experience with the products, they wanted to try more!
“Natural Stacks makes AMAZING products. I love the magnesium stack, prebiotic, Gaba stack and several other products. Helpful for relaxation and focused energy.”
Natural Stacks helped TJ stay focused, calm, and relaxed by “support my nervous system and ability to relax at night!”
“I would recommend anyone who feels like they experience too much stress, a lack of focus, or just generally wants to fuel themselves with the best ingredients possible. NS is legit!”
What else we're Stacking…
With time change, use that extra hour for sleep [WebMD]
China approves seaweed-based Alzheimer's drug. It's the first new one in 17 years [CNN]
Metacognitive therapy may prevent depression relapse [Medical News Today]
Here’s the exact number of cups of coffee you can drink per day [Healthline]
How measles wipes out the body's immune memory [ScienceDaily]
Does weather really affect our experience of pain? [Medical News Today]
ADHD rates doubled among U.S. adults over 10 years [WebMD]
“There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither.” - Alan Cohen