In this episode of the Optimal Performance Podcast, Nina Teicholz stops by to dish on her brand new book, The Big Fat Surprise. For the past 60 years dietary fats were thought to be the single greatest cause of a multitude of health conditions. We now know fat--saturated fat especially--isn't the culprit we once believe. Nina joins us today to talk about where things went wrong and how nutrition policy finally updated the conventional wisdom we all took at face value.
We've included 2 of the studies that Nina Teicholz mentions including the Paddon-Jones review (first laid out the meal distribution argument) and the PROT-AGE study group (the paper that "protein folks" always use to begin our arguments that the RDA is not adequate for older adults).
In this episode you'll learn how and why the world finally accepted that fat isn't the enemy it once was. So grab a cup of coffee and dive right in; this one moves quickly and I think you're really going to enjoy it.
P.S. First time purchasers from Natural Stacks can get 15% off their order by using the code MAC15 at checkout. Check out our Mood Stack if you agree that feeling good means keeping your body healthy and your mind at peace.
- Intro [1:30]
- Nina Teicholz's Stack [3:00]
- Debunking Dietary Myths and The Big Fat Surprise [6:00]
- Undoing the Traditional Diet and Today's Issues [10:15]
- Are our people being kept sick? [14:30]
- What is it going to take to reprogram our diets? [18:15]
- What are you faced with since writing your book? [23:30]
- What are some examples of good rigerous science? [28:40]
- What drew you to this line of work? [31:20]
- Finding Your Own True Dietary Bliss [35:00]
- Who is getting nutrition right? [39:00]
- The difference in changes between men and women. [41:45]
- What's up next for Nina Teicholz? [45:15]
- Outro [48:00]
Links & Resources
- Nina Teicholz's Blog
- Nina Teicholz Twitter
- The Big Fat Surprise
- Protage study group
- Paddon Jones paper
Connect With Us
Follow Sean McCormick
Follow Natural Stacks
Shop Natural Stacks