Table of Contents:
"People recognize that BPA is bad, but what a lot of people don't know is that it's bad because it acts like estrogen in your body."
As a kid, I was always told that BPA should be avoided whenever possible.
It's often found in plastic bottles, in the lining of aluminum cans, and even on cash register receipts.
I'd always known that BPA was bad, but I never quite knew why.
Well, to answer that question, I had the pleasure of sitting down with Dr. Anthony Jay, an expert on all things environmental toxins and how they're affecting our health.
How Environmental Chemicals Are Disrupting Your Health and Hormones
As it turns out, BPA is just one example of an environmental chemical that can take a toll on your health and your hormones, but there are many, many other compounds with comparably insidious effects... these compounds are called estrogens.
Estrogenics are a class of estrogen-like compounds found in everything from shampoo, soap, cosmetic products, sunscreen, fragrances, and everything in between.
Here's what Dr. Jay has to say on the subject:
"Almost all of the cells in your body have estrogen receptors: your brain, your muscles, your reproductive organs... they're all ready to pick up that hormone estrogen, whether its natural or artificial, and when you put that in your blood stream, you're going to have systemic health problems."
When you smear that lotion on your skin, or spray yourself with your favorite new fragrance, you are likely introducing estrogenic compounds into your body without even knowing it.
Meet Dr. Anthony Jay
Dr. Jay is the founder and president of the International Medical Research Collaborative, he's an expert in immunology and biochemistry, and has made significant contributions in HIV, Alzheimer's disease and cardiovascular disease research.
Now, Dr. Jay's focus is on prevention. How can we minimize our exposure to environmental toxins? What are the best practices to safely avoid health risks? And how we can live optimally by minimizing the harmful exposures in our lives?
Listen to the episode for the answers to these questions and much more...
Listen to the Optimal Performance Podcast on-the-go:
What You'll Learn From Dr. Jay in this episode:
- Top 10 estrogenic foods to avoid
- How herbicides are affecting our food system
- The #1 artificial chemical we're exposed to and how to avoid it
- What are artificial estrogens and how are they compromising your health?
- The relationship between phthalates, BPA, BPS, and plastics
- How to optimize your health by minimizing environmental toxin exposure
- How pharmaceuticals like birth control make their way into your tap water
- Why you should never store fat in plastic containers
- What your genes and environmental pollutants have in common
- Why topics in science and medicine are often "spun" and how you can tell the difference
- Where you can find more of Dr. Anthony Jay
- Dr. Jay's Top 3 Tips to #LiveOptimal
Links & Resources
- Dr. Jay's book, Estrogeneration
- Study on BPS (not BPA)
- Top 10 Estrogens List
- International Medical Research Collaborative
- Top list of Atrazine sources
- Marian Nestle of NYU
- Connect with Anthony | Twitter | Website | Youtube |
- BPA Analogues, Environmental Occurrence, and Human Exposure
- Environmental Pollutants and Their Effects on Mitochondrial Health and Insulin Sensitivity
- Phytoestrogen Content In Foods