Burn More Fat: Become A Fat-Burning Beast with Mark Sisson
Mark Sisson is a leader in the health and fitness community.
Mark is the bestselling author of The Primal Blueprint and one of the leading voices of the Evolutionary Health Movement - also referred to as the Primal and Paleo movements.
His blog, MarksDailyApple.com, has paved the way for Primal enthusiasts to challenge conventional wisdom’s diet and exercise principles and take personal responsibility for their health and well-being.
Mark’s efforts to promote primal living extend to a line of nutritional supplements, a book publishing company, a Primal Kitchen line with healthy mayonnaise, salad dressing, meal replacement and energy bar, and a burgeoning Primal Kitchen fast casual restaurant chain. (Use code: NATURALSTACKS to save 10% on all things Primal)
A former elite endurance athlete, with a 2:18 marathon and a 4th place Hawaii Ironman finish, Mark's new book Primal Endurance applies the primal eating and lifestyle principles to the challenge of endurance training—helping athletes overcome the common conditions of burnout and carbohydrate dependency.
All of which, we discuss in depth with Mark on this edition of the Optimal Performance Podcast.
What You'll Learn From Mark Sisson on this episode of the OPP:
- Tweet: "Look around any ER - lifestyle choices trump genetics"
- How to extract the maximum amount of fitness, health, and happiness from your life
- Tips to become fat-adapted
- Reduce sugar, processed carbohydrates, and refined vegetable oils
- When "experts" differ in their advice, how do you know who or what to listen to?
- Problems that arise from too much sugar in our blood
- Tweet: "People are attached to their way of eating more strongly than they're attached to their religion"
- Find as many opportunities as possible to move - and call it play
- Training and diet protocols to create more mitochondria
- The magical heart rate number you need to know for fat-burning training AND the heart rate "black hole" you should avoid for optimal results
- Tweet: "Training to develop the ability to sustain power over time will increase mitochondria"
- How can I get the most amount of benefit for the least amount of effort
- Mark's experiments with Ketone Salt products
- Can fat-adapted athletes succeed in football as well as endurance sports?
- Tweet: Want to lose fat, well, "how efficient is your body at burning fat?"
- Society precepts and the psychology of eating as much as possible
- The bodybuilding approach of 6 meals a day is built on being a sugar-burner and how it can pre-dispose you to Type II Diabetes
- Tweet: "Cortisol literally MELTS muscle"
- Why training inconsistently leads to better, faster, more sustainable progress
- You don't "lose fitness" from 3-4 days away from your routine
- "Mark's 'never-been-jet-lagged' travel hack"
- Cyclic ketogenic diets in medicine and for use as a weight loss tool
- How the gut biome converts fiber into short chain fatty acids, impacting the immune system and Mark's tips to optimize your gut health
- What Mark wishes he knew at 25
- Where you can find more of Mark Sisson, Primal Kitchen and Mark's Daily Apple
- Mark Sisson's Top 3 Tips to #LiveOPtimal
Links & Resources
Mark's Books: SAVE 10% on Mark's books (& Primal Mayo) with coupon code NATURALSTACKS
Natural Stacks Primal & Fitness Performance Boosters
Prebiotic+: Resistant starch complex supports optimal gut health and neurotransmitter production 
MagTech: Contains the only magnesium shown to cross the blood-brain barrier, boosting brain magnesium levels and increasing synapse density 
Vitamin D3: Crucial hormonal and health support for those of us who don't paddle board in Malibu, California several times a week like Mark Sisson 
Creatine: Get those extra reps and give your body the stimulus it needs for change 
Serotonin Brain Food: As much as 90% of this "feel good" neurotransmitter is made in the gut 
Keep the Conversation Going In The Comments Below
- H. A. Majid, P. W. Emery, K. Whelan. Faecal microbiota and short-chain fatty acids in patients receiving enteral nutrition with standard or fructo-oligosaccharides and fibre-enriched formulas. Journal Human Nutrition & Diet. 2011 June; 24(3): 260–268.
- Abumaria, N. Effects of elevation of brain magnesium on fear conditioning, fear extinction, and synaptic plasticity in the infralimbic prefrontal cortex and lateral amygdala. The Journal of Neuroscience. 2011 Oct 19;31(42):14871-81.
- Hollick, MF. Vitamin D: evolutionary, physiological and health perspectives. Curr Drug Targets. 2011 Jan;12(1):4-18.
- Volek, Jeff. Creatine Supplementation Enhances Muscular Performance During High-Intensity Resistance Exercise. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. Volume 97, Issue 7, July 1997, Pages 765–770
- Yano, Jessica M. et al. Indigenous Bacteria from the Gut Microbiota Regulate Host Serotonin Biosynthesis. Cell, Volume 161, Issue 2, 264 - 276
World Memory Champion
"This is a very interesting area..."
"My wife set up a blind study for me because I got my hand on some CILTEP… We did a blind test… Out of these 20 trials that I did in these 10 days, my four fastest ones were all on CILTEP."
World Series of Poker 2014 Champion
"I've relied on CILTEP as my go-to product to optimize mental performance for the seven week long WSOP."
"It definitely helped me get through the long days and stay focused all the way through. I've noticed a remarkable difference in my ability to spend hours at a table without a break in concentration. This product really works."
The Bulletproof Executive
"I am seriously impressed with CILTEP"
"CILTEP has earned a place alongside world-class smart drugs. It works synergistically with them to help you do - and be - more."
@NATURALSTACKS ON INSTAGRAM